Prep time: 45 minutes, plus one hour of marinating
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tsp WillYum Spice Chipotle Paprika Signature Blend
- 2 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp WillYum Spice McKay's Curry
- 1 tsp WillYum Spice Tumeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 dried chile peppers
- 12 to 15 curry leaves
1. Prepare the chicken: Smash and chop the garlic and ginger. Then, using a mortar and pestle, blend them together into a paste
2. In a large bowl, combine chicken, garlic-ginger paste, spices and salt. Mix well so the spices are distributed evenly. Set chicken aside, covered, in the refrigerator for an hour.
3. In a 12 inch cast-iron skillet, heat the coconut oil on medium heat until a small piece of chicken sizzles when added. Add half the chicken, or however much fits in one layer, and deep fry for 5 to 6 minutes, turning any pieces poking out of the oil halfway through if necessary, until every piece is cooked through. Set the fried chicken aside to drain on a paper-towel-lined plate, and repeat with the remaining chicken.
4. To make the garnish, heat the coconut oil in a medium saute pan over high heat. When a small piece of shallot sizzles vigorously in the oil, add the shallots, dried chiles and curry leaves. Cook, stirring often, until shallots are golden brown. This should take about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garnish to the chicken and serve warm with flatbread.
Cover Photo Cred to NYT cooking.